UKABC Participates in 3rd ASEAN Economic Community Dialogue
DO YOU HAVE A SUCCESS STORY?
We’d like to hear from you.
Mon, 14 Oct. 2019
3rd ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) Dialogue. 3-4 October, Jakarta.
Themed ‘Strengthening ASEAN-Driven Public-Private Engagement’, the 3rd AEC Dialogue provided an update to business councils and associations on the recent ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting and progress in sectoral areas including trade facilitation.
Dr Aladdin D. Rillo, Deputy Secretary-General for the AEC, opened the dialogue with an overview of the progress made in the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) Meeting in September. In his remarks, he stressed that ‘we recognise the important role of the private sector in the development of the AEC.’ He noted one of the biggest achievements this year is the ASEAN Single Window which shows how ASEAN Economic integration has progressed. The ASEAN Single Window aims to improve customs procedures and expedite the movement of goods across the region.
Other notable outcomes include:
- The signing of the ASEAN Trade in Services Agreement
- Full ratification of the ASEAN Open Skies Agreement
- Launching of two innovative financing mechanisms under the ASEAN Infrastructure Fund
- Endorsement of the ASEAN Framework on Digital Data Governance
- Endorsement of ATIGA Operational Certification Procedures (OCP) to allow ASEAN Wide Self-Certification (AWSQ) Scheme and Certificate of Origin (CO) Form D.
Dr Rillo also provided an update on the deliverables under Thailand’s Chairmanship at the 51st AEM, aimed at equipping ASEAN in preparation for the 4IR, which include:
- ASEAN Digital Integration Framework Action Plan (DIFAP) 2019-2025
- ASEAN Innovation Roadmap 2019-2025
- Guideline on Skilled Labour/Professional Services Development in response to 4IR
- ASEAN Declaration on Industrial Transformation to Industry 4.0.
- The digitalisation of ASEAN Micro Enterprises
The two-day dialogue also saw a panel discussion on ‘Facilitating Digital Trade in ASEAN’ which covered Digital Data Governance, seamless data flows and digital trade and a digital trading platform using blockchain.
Discussion clinics were held with ASEAN Desk Officers in the areas of ICT, Food and Agriculture, Trade Facilitation and Financial Integration.
Allen Lai, UKABC’s Director – ASEAN & Corporate Affairs, met with Dr Rillo to provide an update on UKABC plans and to discuss how the UKABC could collaborate further with the ASEAN Secretariat.
Attending the dialogue were representatives from the ASEAN Business Advisory Council, ASEAN Association of Banks, Canada-ASEAN Business Council, EU-ASEAN Business Council, India-ASEAN Business Council, New Zealand – ASEAN Business Council, UK-ASEAN Business Council and the US-ASEAN Business Council.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.